Kalamarakia in Rhodos at the Restaurant Pitagoras




Velia's Greek Style



13-29 September '93

My first trip to Greece.. RHODOS





"Traditionally known as “the Island of Roses” and “ the Island of Butterflies” for the great number of flowers and butterflies scattered about on its hills, Rhodes is the place where Zeus did homage to Elio, the god of the sun, and where he fell in love with Poseidon’s daughter, the nymph Roda.
It was not by chance that for so many centuries the god Sun was worshipped in Rhodes and that the same worship gave rise to one of the seven wonders of the ancient world: the Colossus of Rhodes"

I have been to Rhodes when I was 19 years old, memory of a beautiful and unforgettable trip that I am still keeping in my heart as hidden treasure.
Lodging into a beautiful hotel like the Rhodos Palace was not enough...actually I was not really happy about food. I was desperately seeking Italian food but at the end I found out few greek dishes that I am still cooking even now during my parties.
It was September '93. The weather was so hot but windy at the same time.
We were just coming back from the tour of the town and a very funny ( crazy) taxi driver gave us a little suggestion where to go and we finally found the Restaurant PITAGORAS right in the middle of the town.
We just had a white wine and we tasted the Kalamarakia, deep fried squid tossed into a lemon sauce.

Velia's cooking Style loves Greek cuisine but I must be honest at that time I was too young to appreciate different flavors that's why I was getting mad without my beloved dish of pasta.


Here the italian reply to this wonderful greek recipe where I added also other kind of fish.
(dedicated to Fabio a very special person)

Deep fried fish with lemon sauce
Ingredients for 4 pax

400 gr (14 oz.) of squids
400 gr (14 oz.) of king prawns
400 gr (14 oz.) of anchovies
200 gr (7 oz.) 00 flour
30 gr (1 oz.) of butter
3 eggs yolks
2 tbs Vinegar
2 tbs of lemon juice
grated lemon peel
salt
1/2 lt (1/2 quart) of Extra virgin olive oil to deep fry the fish
( you can use also sunflowers oil or nuts oil)
For making the sauce try to melt the butter in double boiling adding slowly and mixing faster the eggs yolks, the vinegar, lemon juice and a bit of salt and pepper. Take away from the range when it looks quite thick and creamy
Apart put the oil into a large frying pan and bring it to high temperature for deep fry your fish. Clean the fish and dry it a bit with a towel: coat in flour and deep fry for few minutes. Use special absorving paper for deep fried fish: add salt and serve it in a plate with lemon sauce at the side and grated lemon peel all around

















Comments

Anonymous said…
No one could reply to this article...maybe one day!
Anyway the recipe looks great!
Velia said…
Everything it means to be.
Great memories

Popular Posts